Monday, July 27, 2015

Two Knives I've Been Waitng For

Another rare update on the world’s worst-maintained blog site

As I’ve mentioned in an earlier post, I like carrying two folders, one full sized in my back pocket and a smaller one in my front pocket, the larger one for defense and the smaller on as a utility knife. There have been at least two times when I’ve pulled out my larger knife to open a letter or cut a loose piece of string off my clothing and a person standing nearby audibly gasps.


One of my favorite knives (granted, I have about a dozen “favorite” knives) is my black, Cold Steel Recon Tanto. The Recon Tanto has a 4” tanto blade and the blade is at least an inch wide. This was the knife I used to open a letter that made one of my friends gasp. Because the knife is fairly huge, I rarely carry it.

While it may have been in circulation for a while, I finally saw a Recon Tanto for sale with a 3” blade at the local military surplus store. It feels just as good in my hands as the larger Recon Tanto and (hopefully) people won’t gasp when I open a letter with it.



The main knife I’ve been waiting years to be produced is the Spyderco Salt 1 with 3” plain-edge black blade. (Serrated blades are for people too lazy to sharpen their knives) I already have her bigger sister, the Pacific Salt with 4” black blade. I also have the 3” and 4” versions in stainless, but to carry the 3” stainless version with the larger black-bladed one would just be tacky.

I purchased the 3” black-bladed Salt 1 online and now I have a complete set.

In an earlier blog I wrote of how I’ve found these knives really are rust proof after spending an hour or two in a hot tub and spending some time in a swimming pool with one in my pocket.

While I have full faith that the black-bladed Salt knives are rust-proof too, I don’t plan on hanging out in a hot tub with them. I do plan on testing the stainless Salt knives in actual salt water.

Stay tuned.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home