Friday, December 10, 2010

Cold Steel’s Recon 1 Folder: The Upgrade



Several days ago my Cold Steel Recon 1 folder arrived via UPS. I already have one of the previous versions but this latest version fixes the main problem I had with the older one, that problem being the thickness of the handle. While I could maintain a good grip on the knife, due to my raccoon-sized hands my grip on just didn’t feel comfortable. The handle of the new Recon 1 is contoured so that those with smaller hands can get a good, comfortable grip. That one, seemingly small difference will be the reason I may actually carry the newer model Recon 1, rather than keeping it in my safe as a collector’s item like I usually do with the older version.



I do like the blade shape of the older Recon 1 better. Both have Tanto-style blades but the blade on the older version looks better to me. I’m sure function-wise, there’s no difference. I’m betting if you stab someone in the right leg with the older Recon 1, and then stab them in the left leg with the newer version, they wouldn’t be able to tell which one hurts more and both wounds would probably bleed out the same. Go ahead, try it out on someone.

Another difference between the two Recon 1 versions is their locking mechanism. The older version uses the Axis locking system while the newer version uses a locking system called Tri-Ad. Look up the locking systems if you want more detailed information about them. I personally prefer either the Axis or liner lock. I like a knife I can open AND close with one hand.



Both knives have 4”,AUS-8A steel and have G-10 laminate scale handles. It’s possible that one could coat their hands with Vaseline and still maintain a good grip on these knives. (Not that I would actually try that)

Frankly, I love the new Recon 1. I only wish they made a smaller version so I could carry it along with my full size version like I do with my Spyderco Endura and Delica.

Robot

831-869-9932

Robot@InsideTheCompound.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home