Sunday, September 17, 2006

Spydeco takes Folders to the Next Level

Spyderco Knives, (http://spyderco.com) to the best of my knowledge was the first to include a pocket clip. They were definitely the first to have a thumbhole in the blade to enable it to be opened with one hand. The first Spyderco knife I purchased, if I recall correctly was the Police model. The only problem I had with it was its smooth, stainless steel handle, which made it difficult to hold onto if your hands are damp with sweat, water or whatever. I don’t know what happened to it, but I assume I sold it.




In 1990, Spyderco began selling the Endura and Delica. The Endura and Delica had a 3 ¾ “ and 2 7/8” long blade respectively. They came with either a plain edge, or serrated edged blade. Rather than having a smooth stainless steel handle, the handle was plastic and was checkered. These first models had a pocket clip molded out of the plastic handle. It was also cheaper (in price, not quality) and lighter. For several years it became my main carry knife.



The Endura on the top is the latest model, on the bottom is the oldest





The same knives, showing their pocket clips.


Several years later, new models of the Endura and Delica were sold. They had a metal pocket clip, held onto the handle by a screw and could be placed on either side of the butt of the handle. My only complaint against them was the handles were a bit too slim.

The latest version of the Endura and Delica came out several years ago and in my opinion, they are the best. The blades are made from VG-10 (I believe the first blades were made from 440 steel) and are a bit heavier than the original blade. The metal clips can be reversed to either side of the handles or to the top or bottom of the handles.

Personally, I think they’re as good as or better than the more expensive knives.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home