Saturday, December 04, 2010

An Inexpensive Automatic Knife by Smith and Wesson



Recently I picked up another inexpensive, yet fairly well-made automatic knife. This one is made by Smith and Wesson. The blade, as you can see in the photo is tanto-style and the steel seems to be of an adequate quality. If you plan on only buying one switchblade for your collection, I wouldn’t recommend this one. If had to pick only one switchblade, it would be one of the higher quality autos either made by Smith and Wesson, Benchmades or one of the other companies. This auto cost less that $25 which puts in the range of the Boker auto-knives I wrote about on a previous post.

One of the main problems I have with this knife is its release button. On nearly all of the other higher quality auto-knives, the button is recessed into the handle enough so that you can carry it in your pocket with little risk of it opening unintentionally.

A test I like to do on auto-knives is to lay it button-side down on a flat surface and press down on it. If the blade doesn’t open, I then consider it safe to carry in my pocket. (Not that I would carry one in my pocket of course, carrying switchblades is illegal in the cowardly, Communistic state of California).



This auto, like many others has a safety, which is located on the back of the handle. While I don’t mind safeties on switchblades, I prefer the ones that are safe to carry without one.

Having to take the safety off of a switchblade before opening it makes it slower to open than a knife with a thumb stud or thumbhole, especially slower than those that can be opened with the flick of a wrist.

All in all, it’s a decent enough knife and it’ll do until I get the funds to purchase some of the higher quality autos.


Bryan Grasper
831-869-9932

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I have been looking for such a automatic knife since long. Thinking of getting one. Hope it comes in my budget.

00:07  
Blogger My Switchblade said...

Thanks for sharing this blog because i read this blog and get more information related to Automatic knives.

20:32  
Blogger ROBOT said...

I know this is the worst-maintained blog in blogging history, but I do plan on doing an update (Hopefully soon).

I went on a folding Buck knife buying rampage a few months ago and want to write about my latest acquisitions.

10:38  

Post a Comment

<< Home