Friday, July 20, 2012

The Spyderco Salt Series: A Rust-Proof Knife That Holds an Edge

Several years ago, I was in a hotel swimming pool with a few friends from work. I can’t swim, so while several of the guys were actually swimming, I was sitting in the shallow end of the pool. A few of my workmates, knowing I can’t swim jokingly suggested tossing me into the deep end of the pool. They also know that I always have a knife or two on my person, but assumed I didn’t have one in the pool with me. I grinned at them and pulled out my Spyderco Salt series, C88BPK folder with its 3” blade, made from H-1 steel. H-1 steel is completely rustproof. When I read the information about the knife before buying it, I was a bit skeptical about the knife being “rustproof”. I had heard years ago that a knife that won’t rust will neither take nor hold a sharp edge. I read sometime afterwards that with advances in blade metal that isn’t necessarily the case. But rustproof? I thought at best, it wouldn’t rust as easily and that would be enough for me. I generally try to avoid being in any water deeper than a bathtub.
(H-1 folder with Kydex neck sheath) Several months after buying the knife, (yet before the hotel pool incident) several of my friends would go swimming a few times a week. Not wanting to be left out, I would wade in the shallow end of the pool, with my Spyderco H-1 in my pocket. I was pleasantly surprised to see that it didn’t rust. I had been wiping the blade down with oil after being in the pool the first few times then decided to just leave the blade as it was. It still didn’t rust. I decided to use a different Spyderco model in the pool. I believe the knife I used was one of the older Endura models. After an hour or two in the pool and then letting the knife sit for another few hours, I found the knife had started to rust slightly. This test confirmed that the H-1 was indeed waterproof and was different from the other Spyderco blades. There are several Spyderco SALT models and the Spyderco Warrior fixed-blade knife is made from H-1metal. The H-1 knives come in several styles, some folding, some fixed-blade. Some even come with yellow handles. Personally, I think the yellow-handled knives are a bit gay-looking. Along with my H-1 with the 3” blade, I also have one with a 3-13/16” blade and also one with a black H-1 blade. I haven’t yet tried wearing the knives in sea water, so I can’t personally vouch for how well they resist rust after being in salt water. However, the H-1 knives are perfect for putting in the pocket of your gym shorts while working out or in your swim trunks. All in all, it’s a great knife and they aren’t as expensive as some other Spydercos, and they take and hold a good edge..

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home